Do you have a job vacancy you would like us to promote? Submit Post Here
Our job postings are exclusive benefits to our membership.
Manager Real Estate Services
Sacramento, CA, US, 95817-1899
Minimum Pay Rate:$122,028.00
Maximum Pay Rate:$161,628.00
Apply by Date:
SMUD is seeking a highly engaged real estate/land management professional to provide vision, leadership and expertise for the success and sustainability of the SMUD's real estate asset portfolio, programs, and services.
This position provides overall leadership and direction to lead, plan, integrate, evaluate, and implement SMUD's programs to manage real estate rights and interests, property assets, acquisition and divestiture of properties, strategy and metrics.In addition, the Real Estate Services work group provides services to internal business units to meet their operational needs and uphold the public trust in our dealings with the public.
The services of this department include:
- Acquisition of various real property rights required for SMUD operations
- Management of SMUDs real property rights.
- Disposal of SMUDsreal property rights
- Providing information regarding SMUDs property interests internally and to the public
NOTE: This position is posted until is a sufficient number of qualified applications are received and may close any time after May 15, 2023. For immediate consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply early.
To provide managerial oversight for all aspects of SMUD's Real Estate Asset Portfolio including any consultation required regarding real estate rights and interests. This position provides vision, expertise and direction to all of SMUD's business units, develops and maintains strategic plans, provides project planning and oversight, and acquires and manages all of SMUD's Real Estate Assets. Responsible for the administration, acquisition, and management of SMUD's Real Estate Assets, and all functions provided by the Business Unit. Also responsible for mitigation of legal and fiscal risk to SMUD by overseeing the real estate rights required to protect any and all SMUD locations, functions, placement of facilities and all other real estate rights required to support the SMUD operations.
This is a single incumbent manager level position, reporting to a Director. This position is responsible for overseeing the planning and development processes of the acquisition, management and disposition of property rights on behalf of SMUD. The position has recognized leadership skills, serves as a mentor to staff, and advises SMUD on complex property-related matters. Selects, trains, motivates, evaluates and develops staff and ensures that department goals, objectives, policies/procedures, priorities and strategic objectives are achieved and coordinated effectively with other departments across SMUD.
- Directs the work of staff, consultants and professional service providers, and maintains work quality in order to meet defined objectives and assigned area responsibility by interpreting and executing SMUD policies and procedures that affect the work unit; oversees and evaluates staff's work product; hires, terminates, trains, coaches, mentors and develops staff; ensures staff safety and prevention of personal injury and equipment loss.
- Oversees and guides the following: The acquisition, management and disposition of real property rights. The negotiation of acquisition and disposition contracts, including strategy development, financial analysis, and business term negotiation. The in-depth knowledge of the technical requirements of SMUD's design and planning teams and developing solutions that meet the design and business objectives. The management of various complex contract negotiations.
- Develops strategic goals for, and is a key stakeholder for SMUD's Long Range Asset Management Plan (LRAMP); keeping the asset portfolio records current and providing SMUD stakeholders with timely status updates regarding inventoried real properties or land rights; and evaluation of risks associated with property rights and controls.
- Provides information and guidance to SMUD's Executives and Board of Directors on the planning of real estate projects and obtaining approvals thereof to support SMUD's objectives; analyzes economic factors and considers the effects of environmental legislation, government regulations, current real estate law, and other various compliance/regulatory requirements.
- Acts in a liaison capacity on real estate related matters by initiating, directing, and facilitating activities of SMUD's Legal, Engineering, and Operations departments with property owners and government agencies. Represents SMUD in public affairs and community meetings (counties, cities and other government agencies) relating to real estate practices and industry topics.
- Manages the use of SMUD property for revenue-generating operations; ensures revenue collection and reporting requirements; develops and implements procedures and procedural changes for revenue collection and accounting; and oversight of asset management reports of occupied and unoccupied properties.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to align potentially conflicting priorities; ensures quality control standards for real estate transactions (e.g., cost, time, location, economics, market needs, and deal quality). Negotiate key contracts for real estate from beginning to end including strategy development, financial analysis, business term negotiation and full legal negotiation.
- Drives field related advancements in enterprise technologies (such as SAP, EDM, GIS, and AutoCAD) and implements various reporting and analytical capabilities to improve department efficiencies and operations. Is responsible for business unit data standards, is the lead proponent of data governance, promotes use of technology for improvement, and oversees how real estate data/information is being consumed and interpreted by other departments and external sources.
- Reviews, analyzes and comments on proposed legislation and regulations and keeps informed of legislative, legal decisions, and market trends affecting SMUD's real estate practices and operations.
- Performs all other managerial duties as required.
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field directly related to area of assignment or equivalent experience. If no degree, fourteen or more (14+)years of experience is required.
Ten (10+) or more years of progressively responsible relevant work experience in real estate, land acquisition, property portfolio management or other related field as well as three (3+) or more years lead or supervisory experience preferably in the field of real estate in the power or utility sectors.
Must possess and maintain a valid California Drivers License and a satisfactory driving record (not more than two moving violations in the last two years).
Principles and techniques of supervision and management; business and real estate laws and practices relative to the acquisition and disposition of real property and varying types of easements including condemnation; principles of leasing real estate; principles and practices of the appraisal of real estate and easements; property tax and assessment laws and zoning ordinances; engineering and construction practices; surveying and mapping principles; environmental regulations CEQA; industry trends regarding real estate and technology; Knowledge of rudimentary and complex software such as SAP, EDM, ESRI and Hexagon GIS, BPC, WEBI, Tableau, HR Express, and various performance management tools; customer experience principles; SMUD policies, procedures, applicable MOU's and other special agreements; federal and state energy regulations and the MUD Act; techniques of negotiation and persuasion; techniques and methods of financial evaluation of real property; federal and state laws and regulations related to supervisory practices and employee rights; methods and techniques for planning, organizing, directing and controlling work activities; methods and techniques for training staff; policies and procedures for evaluating and recording performance results; principles and practices for budget administration; principles and practices for motivating, coaching, mentoring, training and developing staff; safety policies, practices and procedures; standard operating procedures for modern office equipment including a computer and applicable software; English grammar, punctuation and vocabulary standards.
Communicate effectively orally and in writing internally/externally; establish and maintain effective working relationships internally/externally; plan, organize and direct the work of and provide training for a group of multi-disciplined technicians and professionals; analyze and interpret complex legal statutes and technical codes; analyze, formulate and administer administrative policies and procedures; make oral presentations at public meetings, hearings and City Council and County Supervisor meetings; analyze complex situations and exercise sound judgment; apply applicable personnel laws, codes and regulations; establish, manage, monitor and update budget; identify, assess and coordinate training needs for staff; initiate, maintain and oversee adherence to safety policies and procedures; interact with others to influence and motivate; interpret and apply SMUD policies procedures, applicable MOU and/or other special agreements; oversee disciplinary actions and resolution of employee grievances; plan, organize, direct, control, and review the work of others; prepare and implement safety plans.
- Notary Public Commission
- CA BRE License Broker
- IRWA Certification
- MAI from Appraisal Institute
- PMP or Advanced Degree
Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) - Who We Are
As the nation's sixth-largest community-owned electric service provider, we're proud of our reputation as one of the best places to work in Sacramento. Our employees tell us in our engagement surveys they're "Happy, satisfied and engaged" which helps create a workplace that best serves our customers.Sacramento was named as the 2nd happiest place to work in America by Forbes Magazine. Lake Tahoe, San Francisco and the world-renowned Napa Valley are within easy driving distance of our locations.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
SMUD celebrates diversity, and inspires an inclusive culture based on trust and respect to create belonging and connection among our employees, customers, and communities. By working together, we are powering positive, equitable opportunities for all. We aspire to be a workplace where you can be yourself, achieve your best, and thrive together.
An example of our commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging is when SMUD signed the California Equal Pay Pledge in 2020. This requires equal pay for employees who perform "substantially similar work," when viewed as a composite of skill, effort, and responsibility at the time those employees started within that classification. As such, initial hiring salary range is not subject to negotiation and salaries will vary over time based on performance.
SMUD is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, veteran status, or any other applicable legally protected characteristic. All employment decisions are made on the basis of individual qualifications, merit, and business needs and interests.
Why Sacramento, California?
The capitol of California, Sacramento is the state's sixth-largest city, and the 35th largest in the U.S. Local universities include California State University, University of the Pacific's McGeorge School of Law, and the University of California, Davis and several competitive community colleges. The UC Davis Medical Center, a world-renowned research hospital, is one of more than a dozen hospitals and shared services centers in the Sacramento region. Part of the agriculturally-rich Central Valley, Sacramento is at the forefront of the farm-to-fork food movement. Northern California is home to some of the country's top technology companies, including Google and LinkedIn, and a multitude of startups in many industries. Sacramento is home to the NBA Kings, the River Cats (AAA baseball), the Republic FC (soccer) and the San Francisco Giants, NBA Warriors and NFL 49er's aren't far away. Sacramento offers an affluent liberal arts community with Broadway, Mondavi Center, Crocker Museum and summer musical theater to name a few.
This position may be eligible for SMUD's remote work employee benefit, the schedule of which will be determined by the successful candidate and the Hiring Manager. SMUD takes pride in powering the Sacramento region community where we live and work. We value the strong working relationships we develop with our colleagues. Our approach to remote work will continue to evolve. Please be aware that should SMUD's business needs change, emergencies occur, or various other reasons arise, you may be required to report onsite on a part-time or full-time basis.
SMUD provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. SMUD complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
SMUD expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of SMUD employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.