SALARY: $21.43 - $22.52 Hourly
LOCATION: 1400 29th Street Sacramento, CA
JOB TYPE: Full Time
JOB NUMBER: 2023-SEP24TA
DEPARTMENT: Police Services
OPENING DATE: 09/12/2023
RECRUITMENT TYPE: Internal/External
AN ELIGIBILITY LIST WILL BE CREATED FROM THIS RECRUITMENT TO BE USED IN FILLING FUTURE VACANCIES
The purpose of this position is to provide continuous and consistent customer service to all passengers aboard light rail vehicles, at light rail stations and within light rail parking lots or other SacRT facilities. The Transit Ambassador will help resolve fare issues, address customer inquiries, assist with understanding the system routes, and handle any concerns and complaints all while maintaining a courteous and friendly attitude.
The Transit Ambassador is a full working level position that works independently on Light Rail trains and/or Light Rail stations performing the duties described herein.
Examples of Duties
- Assists passengers with fare system issues and address any questions to help ensure payments are collected. Helps any passengers that are having difficulties using the fare system, and addresses any related complaints or questions.
- Assists passengers with transfers; helps guide customers to access alternate bus or train services during regular service as well as in the event of a service disruption.
- Answers passenger inquiries and maintains a courteous and friendly demeanor at all times. Maintains an expert knowledge of the bus and light rail system in order to answer all customer inquiries and provides directions when asked. Provides route, schedule and fare information to customers upon request.
- Maintains vigilant watch at light rail stations and parking lots and help maintain a safe and clean environment for passengers and their vehicles. Occasionally removes and disposes of litter on trains to help maintain clean environment.
- Handles customer compliments, criticisms and complaints equally with a calm and pleasant demeanor. Attempts to address customer's issues but recognizes when issues need to be elevated to the next level of authority.
- Ensures a commitment to safety through consistent and professional behaviors in performance of all job functions.
- May be required to issue citations to customers that fail to pay fares and/or nuisance behavior, as well as appear in court to present evidence and testimony related to issued citations. Enters fare citation information into departmental computer system, completes required incident forms and accident reports when necessary.
- Other duties as required.
Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
Experience: Minimum 2 years of full time customer service experience working directly with the public, which must have included interpreting or providing information and assistance directly to the public. Transit experience preferred.
License/Certification: Obtain and maintain Penal Code Section 830.14 Certificate.
Filing Instructions/Supplemental Information
The minimum qualifications as stated on this job announcement represent only the basic requirements of the position. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee that a candidate will be invited to participate in other examination segments of the selection process. An employment application is required for this position. Applications, job announcements, and copies of the complete job description are available at our website at www.sacrt.com.
A completed employment application, as outlined above, must be submitted online. SacRT will not process incomplete applications. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of an application, but may be included with the application. For more information on benefits, please reference the Benefits tab. The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment process to accommodate candidates with disabilities. For more information, contact the Human Resources Department at (916) 556-0298.
SacRT is an Equal Opportunity EOE Employer - Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans.
This position falls under the ATU, Local 256 Collective Bargaining Unit